qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Solaris/SPARC binaries

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Solaris/SPARC binaries
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:05:14 +0200

Hi,

Sparc V8 system emulator is very much complete, but in practice some hidden bugs in it (and also bugs in Proll's Openprom support) make the emulator fragile. It can only run Linux 2.6 series, 2.4 or BSDs won't run. Probably some heavy debugging could make a difference, but it seems that general interest for the emulator is low.

I haven't tried Solaris for Sparc V8, it would be interesting to hear the results.

V9 emulation is getting better, but it's still not usable for anything yet. For example, support for execution in memory above >4G limit (in 32-bit host) was committed to CVS only a few days ago. Maybe the user mode emulator could run 64-bit Linux binaries, but I don't have any.

It might be possible to make a Solaris user mode emulator by translating Solaris system calls to Linux, but it could be a lot of work.