qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch Submission] QEMU with GCC/Win32

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch Submission] QEMU with GCC/Win32
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:39:57 +0100

>     Given that QEMU can support the current release of GCC on Windows by
> changing less than 40 lines of code in one file, can we please begin
> discussing the inclusion of these changes in the main codebase?
> Explicitly specifying this one variable name in a preprocessor directive
> doesn't look as if it would affect builds on other platforms, but it
> would be easy enough to test either way.

My 6-line gen_op_label patch should be safe, and isn't unintrusive, so IMHO
should be applied.

The gcc4 changes are a different matter.  I discusses this with Fabrice on IRC
shortly after submitting the patch. The patch is pretty invasive, high risk,
and potentially hard to debug and maintain. Given this it's not clear if it's
worth the hassle just to support gcc4.

It's generally agreed that the long term solution is to replace dyngen with a
hand coded generator. I'm working on this, but there's still quite a bit to
do.

Paul