qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Binary package and the kqemu support.

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Binary package and the kqemu support.
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:02:39 +0100

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 16:36, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adrian Smarzewski wrote:
> > Is kqemu license compatible with GPL? If the answer is "yes" there is
> > no problem. Otherwise maybe people use it illegally?
>
>  From http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-accel.html:
>
> Terms of Use
> The QEMU Accelerator is free to use, but it is a closed source
> proprietary product. You are not allowed to distribute it yourself to
> other people without an explicit authorisation. Distributors wishing to
> include the QEMU accelerator on CDs, ISO images or packages must contact
> the author to know the exact terms.

However the qemu 0.7.1 binaries distributed from the qemu website include
kqemu support. This means you are entitled to kqemu.h (which is necessary to
compile kqemu.c) under the LGPL.

By distributing kqemu enabled qemu binaries Fabrice has implicitly
dual-licenced kqemu.h under both the LGPL and his kqemu proprietary licence.

IANAL.

Paul

P.S. I'm going to make my usual plug, and say if you're bothered about
licencing issues you should be using qvm86.