qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Kickstart with CentOS4

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Kickstart with CentOS4
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:25:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Matt Lawrence wrote:

I've given up on trying to build a disk image manually, so now I'm trying
to automate the kickstart installation for CentOS4.  By using an iso of the
first CD and a floppy file with a ks.cfg and doing a "linux ks=floppy" at
the boot screen, I can get the install to fire off.  Now I would like to
figure out how to get the install to start automatically without having to
type anything in at the boot: prompt.  Suggestions?

Extract the kernel and initrd from the ISO, then use the qemu direct Linux kernel boot mechanism to get it all running.

  qemu -kernel /path/to/vlimuz -initrd /path/to/initrd.img -append "ks=floppy"

more options may be needed in the append clause, see the bootloader config on the iso.

Alternatively, provided the bootloader on the ISO is configured to support serial port installation you could boot qemu in -nographic mode and expect the install procedure, most easily accomplished with autoexpect

  autoexpect -p -f centos.expect qemu -nographic ....

Regards
Henrik