qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Q: SPARC Solaris as guest operating system with qemu?

From: Martin Bochnig
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Q: SPARC Solaris as guest operating system with qemu?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 15:45:26 +0200

Nardmann, Heiko wrote:

how far is support for SPARC Solaris as a guest operating system inside qemu? I have read something about PROLL but did not understand what it is for or or how to use it. Can anyone shed some light onto it?

A pity that you made me angry a while ago.

Otherwise I could tell you some IF's and WHY's.
As we're talking about guest code here, this is clearly "Blue Swirl"s
field, why don't you ask him directly?!

PROLL but did not understand what it is for or or how to use it. Can anyone shed some light onto it?

And you are being paid by secunet?
How did you manage to gratuate in Technical CS??

I suggest you throw a quick look into the proll code.
Just as the OpenBoot Firmware on a real SPARC machine needs to "know"
the appropriate FCodes in order to be able to boot off some device, it
is with proll.
Besides that there may be lots of other tiny details who may prevent a
successful boot (location of bootblk).
I tried booting both Solaris 1.1.1 (SunOS 4.x) and several Solaris2.x
boot cd's w/o success.
One may be get more info when running qemu-system-sparc in "-nographic"
mode. I dod those tests on a Solaris11_x86 host.
You should start by reading and using BlueSwirl's latest proll updates -
posted to this ML on August 15th.

Martin Bochnig