qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] Linux TUN/TAP driver updates

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] Linux TUN/TAP driver updates
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:55:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Felix Lechner wrote:

Apparently I have the same desire to use a persistent tap0 device with
qemu like you did in April.  I can configure tap0 with tunctl and
standard debian networking, but passing that information to qemu is a
riddle to me.

Attached is my patch relative the current CVS.

This patch adds the -tun-dev command line option

  -tun-dev name

specifying the TUN/TAP device name to attach to.

In addition the patch fixes the existing -tun-fd option allowing it to be specified multiple times if desired.

Your patch never made it into version 7.2 (and it does not apply without errors anymore) which makes me think there is another way to do it.

No, just not many doing this it seems.

Like everybody else, I also thought about a little program similar to
Russell's tundev that opens the interface and passes the fd via command
line option -tun-fd.

To qemu there is no real difference.

However, without patching the -tun-fd option is limited to a single interface due to a name collision on the internal qemu device name.

What's the right way to do this?

The current configuration options have quite many shortcomings. There is discussion about rearranging the networking options making configuration more sane

   - TUN/TAP devices
   - TUN/TAP file descriptors
   - MAC addresses
   - user-net
   - etc..

There is a very nice proposal by Fabrice on how he likes the command line to look like making configuration quite sane and flexible, what remains is for someone to implement this.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-08/msg00196.html

Regards
Henrik