qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] tun/tap networking

From: Jean-Christian de Rivaz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] tun/tap networking
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 10:12:41 +0200

Jim C. Brown a écrit :

Typically, tapX (tap0, tap1, etc) names are reserved for tap devices (ethernet
frames) and tunX (tun0, tun1, etc) are reserved for tun devices (IP frames).

qemu breaks those rules and calls the tap device that it creates tun0. This is
done for reasons that Fabrice has not made clear. (I assume there is a reason
for it because he has refused to apply any of the patches that fix this.)

You point the real question: why it has been impossible to get accepted any patch that fixed this. I has proposed one myself and I get no comment at all. I see similar effort from others and obviousely there failed almost the same way. No getting any valuable comment about why a idea proposed by many peopoles is not applyed make this subject very hard.

I hope that we can resolve this subject, because in my point of view, using a existing "tun" is far more simpler than create one the way quemu do; and this open a lot of new uses in terme of the network managment of the quemu instance. The very first one for me is to allow only root to setup a DHCP server and to assign "tuns" interfaces to the users that needs it, so there don't even have to think about the network setup, ther just boot into quemu an OS with a DHCP client.

Any comment this time ?
--
Jean-Christian de Rivaz