qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] non-blocking disk IO

From: Troy Benjegerdes
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] non-blocking disk IO
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:34:18 -0500

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 08:41:46AM -0400, John Coiner wrote:

> Magnus,
>
> I don't think the Windows 2000 install hack will ever be obsolete.
>
> The installer assumes that a hard disk will take nonzero time to read
> some data. QEMU always services a read in zero-guest-time. (With the
> nonblocking IO patch, zero-guest-time reads still occur, when the
> requested data is in the host's file cache.)
>
> I doubt the IDE spec allows Windows to make this assumption... but the
> assumption is there, and we work around it by adding a delay that's
> visible to the guest.

There are other bugs in the IDE emulation..

I need to try this latest patch, but with the previous DMA patch
(without non-blocking support) having a disk image on an AFS filesystem
just did not work at all.

I am also haveing trouble getting a fresh win2k install under qemu to actually
be able to run windows update.