qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] make '-smb $HOME' work

From: John Coiner
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] make '-smb $HOME' work
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:15:44 -0400

Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
Which smbd are you using? The one on debian sarge wants to have write access
to some /var/run and /var/lib directories to coordinate locking. Because
it gets run as a regular user, (and is not suid root), it winds up
spitting out an error to the logfile and dying. It took me a while to
figure this out, since there's no error message display by qemu.

I'm running smbd that came with slackware 10-dot-something...

address@hidden:~$ /usr/sbin/smbd -V
Version 3.0.14a

It's not suid root either.

The 'smb.conf' contains a "lock directory" entry, which (you would think!) tells smbd to use the temporary directory as the lock directory. Are you sure that smbd actually found and read the 'smb.conf' file which qemu generated?

The qemu-generated 'smb.conf' file overrides all samba default paths in '/var' except for the "utmp directory" and "wtmp directory" parameters. Maybe your smbd was compiled with '--with-utmp' in which case you might need qemu to specify "utmp directory" and "wtmp directory" in 'smb.conf'.

-- john