qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] user-net -redir working?

From: Richard Neill
Subject: [Qemu-devel] user-net -redir working?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:32:06 +0000

Re: User-net not working:

Disabling the Nagle algorithm (i.e., enabling TCP_NODELAY) or typing a
lot of garbage just to fill the buffer with enough data can help,
also.

And IIRC, netcat has a UDP mode as well. I see no reason for this to
happen, but is there any chance it's using UDP by default, and you're
only redirecting TCP?

Good luck!

Thanks for your message.

I think that -redir really is broken: I've also been unsuccessful in trying to make it work using an FTP server on a Windows guest, and using the SSH server on a knoppix guest. Has anyone here ever had success with it? It also fails on hosts with 2 different versions of Mandrake.

Anyway, I've taken your suggestion, and run both ends with ethereal. Here's what I did:

HOST (Linux);
  qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d -user-net -redir tcp:2200::22

GUEST (Knoppix):
  Boot up, then start sshd. Verify that I can indeed do ssh
  address@hidden, and that PermitRootLogin is yes in sshd_config.

   Then, start ethereal (on the "any" interface)

HOST:
  Start ethereal (on the "any" interface")
  ssh -p 2200 address@hidden

 At this point, ssh just stalls. It's obviously waiting for something,
 but not known what. I get no output at all from it.

End of experiment.

ETHEREAL on HOST is showing a series of empty packets:

   SYN
   SYN
   ACK
   FIN
   ACK
   FIN
   ACK
   [repeats]

ETHEREAL on GUEST is showing a series of empty packets, all of which are SYN.

I have no problem in making an outgoing connection from the GUEST to the HOST.

I'm attaching both log files - they are only 2.5 kB

Any ideas? Has anyone succesfully used the user-net -redir option?

Richard