qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [BUG] progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.xxx hangs qemu

From: Juergen Pfennig
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [BUG] progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.xxx hangs qemu
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:23:18 +0100

Hi,

THIS IS NOT AN HTML OR IE PROBLEM! It's a bug in Qemus emulation.

Here is most likely the reason for some problems that newer Windows
versions (since IE 5.x) may have caused. It is not always obvious
that IE is the reason as it is often "hidden" inside other apps.

The bug does not appear in SDL/vga mode (-std-vga). I believe that
the "windows activation" problem was triggered by this. Unfortu-
nately the bug cannot be avoided in a terminal server session.

A simple way to reproduce it (currently) is www.microsoft.com (works
at least for german users, the problem is an ad for windows server?).
Try win2003 and ie6 and your qemu will freeze. The bad lines might be:

"filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(startColorStr='..')>
"filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(startColorStr='..')>

If you want to debug you can get an example from me (an old slide
show demo that uses IE). Or try your own. It is simple, read the
MS docu on:

 YourHtmlObj.style.filter =
 "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Barn(orientation=horizontal, motion=out)"

These filters allow you to animate HTML objects - and Microsoft uses
this at some places to make (HTML-)dialogs more attractive. Barn
is just an example others are: Wheel, Iris and RadialWipe

Unfortunately it seems to hang qemu by something that causes an
error inside the windows kernel (at least I believe so*). When using
a user space debugger like VS you cannot see the reason of the
problem. Does MS still provide a kernel space debugger and checked
builds? If so try a second terminal server session, attach to the IE
instance and try to run such a filter.

Yours
Juergen

* could also happen in a callback from kernel to user space (like a
timer or a paint message).