qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Unified device model

From: Sam Barnett-Cormack
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Unified device model
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:28:04 +0100

Paul Brook wrote:

I don't buy that. We either share the same drivers (in which case keeping the two in sync is trivial) or we don't. All of the systems under consideration are [L]GPL licences. We can easily copy the source, so I don't think being able to copy bits of binary goo gains us anything.

In my experience of writing multiple systems that do the same thing, some shared library code (be it static or dynamic (shared object) in form) makes life much simpler. It can be maintained as a seperate source module, libtool-ized, and made into a nice bit of magic that just needs to be modified once, without manually copying-and-pasting bits back and forth. If it's done statically, it can still be distributed with each source package to ensure compatibility.

Sam