qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: fix bgr color mapping on qemu on Solaris/SPARC

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: fix bgr color mapping on qemu on Solaris/SPARC
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:48:24 -0400

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 04:57:23PM +0200, Jan Marten Simons wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 11. Mai 2006 15:04 schrieb Dan Sandberg:
> > Are you using an OpenGL directdraw surface for the graphics emulation in
> > Qemu?
>
> Qemu is using SDL, as this is a very portable library/framework. I'm not
> sure,
> if SDL uses DirectX on Win32, but I'd rather think it does not. Of course one
> might want to check this and maybe have a look at the SDL mail lists, if
> DirectX was discussed there.

He is askinng about OpenGL, not DirectX.

Dunno if it is the default, but iirc SDL supports OpenGL on Windows.

> > My suggestion would be to write a frontend similar to VMware's for Qemu
> > in Lazarus. Why Lazarus?
> > 1. The fantastic GLscene is available for Lazarus making
> > OpenGL-programming easy. Try: http://www.skinhat.com/3dpack/
> > 2. With Lazarus a RAD graphic frontend based on OpenGL can be made and
> > directly compileable for most operating systems without need for
> > modifications.

SDL has support for OpenGL builtin, so qemu should be able to use that
with only a few modifications.

> There already are a few projects for external qemu GUIs, but for an internal
> GUI it would have to be done in SDL, too, as to not introduce further
> dependencies.

No one has tried to make an SDL Gui for qemu. SDL guis tend to be ugly in
general.

There is a well supported GUI for OS X called Q, and there are 2 versions of
qemu that use a GTK GUI internally.

> Please keep in mind that qemu is ported to many platforms and
> therefor the code would have to be very portable anyways.

Supporting something that runs (or can run) on top of X would catch most of
the platforms that qemu runs on, the only ones I can think of that would need
their own stuff would be Windows and OS X (well OS X has an X server but users
prefer a native GUI there).