qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: PATCH: Solaris/Sparc patch against yesterdays' BGR CVS

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: PATCH: Solaris/Sparc patch against yesterdays' BGR CVS update
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 20:56:05 -0700

Ben Taylor <address@hidden> writes:

> ---- Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Ben Taylor <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Enclosed is the latest version of the qemu solaris/sparc patch, applied
>> > against yesterday's CVS (post BGR update).
>>
>> I'm happy to say that this patch makes qemu compile and work on
>> Solaris quite nicely for me.  I did have to invoke configure with
>> "--extra-ldflags=-lsocket" (and fix configure to put $LDFLAGS in
>> the libSDL probing commands).
>
> Odd. It may have something to do with your localized copy of libSDL.
> The one from blastwave doesn't require -lsocket.  I've been using
> a version of these patches for a year, and never ran into that problem.

For what it's worth, I installed libSDL 1.2.9 from the upstream
.tar.gz without any special configuration options.

>>  I also had to override the
>> configure script's desire to use /usr/ucb/install instead of GNU
>> install.
>
> The configure script wants to use ginstall, assuming you've got it in your
> path.  I did not use "install" because there are several variations of install
> on Solaris, and configure is coded to make sure you don't use them.
>
> It recommends /usr/ucb/install if you don't have GNU install (or it can't find
> it because it's looking for ginstall).  I'll have to check the logic to make
> sure

Ah, I see.  I thought that it was complaining that the default
"install" was not the UCB install.  In the future I'll know to
just give it the GNU version up front.

>> The former won't let me install without being root,
>> because it wants to install everything as a "staff" account; the
>> latter will.
>
> That's a localized configuration requirement you have, and that configure
> should
> probably not try to take into account.

I'm not sure that installing as non-root is all that localized a
requirement, but I'm easily able to work around it so it doesn't
bother me that much.
--
"Then, I came to my senses, and slunk away, hoping no one overheard my
 thinking."