qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] fpu problems with qemu-system-sparc

From: Joerg Platte
Subject: [Qemu-devel] fpu problems with qemu-system-sparc
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:16:11 +0200

Hi!

I've some problems with qemu-system-sparc and programs using floating point
instructions. Each time at least two floating point programs are started in
qemu simultaneously, one or both are killed by the linux kernel with a SIGSEV
signal (sometimes because of a corrupted stack or invalid register values).
If I start only one program no error occurs. It looks like it has something
to do with the disabled-floating-point-unit-trap, which is executed each time
a process tries to access the fpu while another process has used it before.
This interrupt calls the linux function do_fpd_trap which then saves the old
FPU-state and restores the new one. When only one program uses the FPU this
trap is never executed.

I've checked a lot of the executed instructions in qemu and cannot find any
problems up to now. Does somebody else has an idea what to check? The test
program simply adds two float variables (fadds-instruction) in a loop and
this crashes the program reproducible.

regards,
Jörg