qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Christian MICHON
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:07:32 +0200

you're putting c++ inside the qemu source tree when it is not
needed (yet).

if SDL is common to most guest screens: I agree with you
that the gui/toolkit should overlay the SDL.

Yet Fabrice mentionned months ago this was not his
intention, so we should respect it and (hopefully) close
this long thread.

On 6/16/06, Kevin F. Quinn <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:45:24 +0100
Stuart Brady <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:21:46AM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
>
> > WxWidgets (www.wxwidgets.org) provides a nice way out of this -
> > provides a uniform API for the application developer, and local
> > look-and-feel for each platform.  WxWidgets can sit on gtk, motif,
> > x11, win32, mac, cocoa (doesn't appear to be a qt backend yet, but
> > no reason there couldn't be).
>
> Yes, there should be abstraction between the UI and the VM, but I
> think that the approach taken by xine, gstreamer, cdrecord,
> cdparanoia, etc. is much cleaner.  You could still write a frontend
> with WxWidgets...
>
> I think it would be best if QEMU didn't depend on any particular
> toolkit, and that includes WxWidgets.

I was suggesting WxWidgets as a way to avoid writing separate gui
frontends for each platform (that's what WxWidgets is for). I wasn't
suggesting WxWidgets be embedded into Qemu (or the other way around for
that matter).  If you want a pretty controller app and you want to
avoid cross-platform issues WxWidgets does a lot of the work for you
(much more than just gtk for example).  In particular I was responding
to the statement

> Face it, putting a GUI on something like QEMU is going to require at
> least a one per desktop/platform effort.

I don't see any reason to hack up qemu just to put a pretty face on
it.  VNC support already provides an easy way to place the guest screen
wherever you want if you don't like the SDL window (although I think
SDL remains the best choice for the guest screen).
http://code.technoplaza.net/wx-sdl/ talks about combining WxWidgets and
SDL, although I don't know if that's useful.

--
Kevin F. Quinn