qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] No useful documentation.

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] No useful documentation.
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:25:24 +0100

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> I've looked at qemu several times over the past several years. Every
> time I get excited at the prospect of migrating people to GNU/Linux by
> letting them run the one windows app they need... and every time I hit a
> brick wall, as qemu fails to actually do anything useful.
>
> Try to take this approach: You are writing to a technically competent
> user (perhaps a sysadmin) who wants to run Windows under Linux with qemu
> (perhaps to migrate some of the company computers). He has a Windows
> install CD, he has qemu installed, and is ready to go. Please write
> something that this person can use to get Windows running under qemu.

Personally I found Qemu astonishingly easy to use, and simply not
needing a lot of documentation to get an OS installed from CD into it.

A couple of hours after installing Qemu, having never used it before,
I had a working virtual machine running CentOS, installed from a set
of virtual CDs.  An hour later, kqemu (the accelerator) was installed
and working.

I was most impressed by how easy it was and how little I had to tweak.

But then I wasn't trying to run Windows inside it.

Is Windows harder to install in it than some random Linux distro?

-- Jamie