qemu-devel

RE: [Qemu-devel] QEMU wiki (was re: windows documentation etc)

From: Armistead, Jason
Subject: RE: [Qemu-devel] QEMU wiki (was re: windows documentation etc)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 20:33:39 -0400

Jim C. Brown wrote:

>You can already do this with the unofficial wiki. I don't see any
difference
>between an "official" and an "unofficial" wiki other than its title.
>
>Lots of people contribute to the wiki. If you have something to say, just
stick
>it in there. A wiki wouldn't be viable unless it was completely open.

To make the "unofficial" wiki into a more "official" one, it would be nice
if it were listed under the main menu on the QEMU site.  As a new user to
QEMU, the last place I would be looking is in the Links section for more
documentation.  A better place, would be either under the two current
documentation links (User and Technical) that most new users would
automatically gravitated to, or to give it its own link just under those two
so that it stands out.

And, if it is to become "official" does Fabrice really need to maintain
separate User and Technical documentation pages ?  These would be better off
being incorporated into the Wiki itself.

What I'm advocating is a one-stop-shop for ALL the documentation, rather
than the 3 current places (5 if you include the QEMU-Devel archives and the
QEMU User forums as well)

Perhaps Fabrice would feel more comfortable hosting a wiki on his own site
under the qemu.org domain name so that he can ensure it stays up whilst the
QEMU project lives on rather than being depending on the gracious support of
3rd parties like Jeffry Johnston who runs the KidSquid site where the
"unofficial" wiki lives (thanks Jeffry !!!) And, if he wants to play
administrator and lock a few pages from editing by the general public, all
well and good too.

I've got to say that I'm also a fan of MediaWiki more so than the MoinMoin
wiki.  Once you're familiar with all that Wikipedia can do, it's hard to go
back to using other wiki engines.

Cheers

Jason