qemu-devel

Re: wxWidgets and C: was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU GUI

From: Linas Žvirblis
Subject: Re: wxWidgets and C: was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU GUI
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:29:17 +0300

Oliver Gerlich wrote:

> Personally, I'd be interested to have a GUI for controlling a running
> Qemu instance: change CD-ROM, add/remove USB devices, save/restore VM
> snapshots (though this would also require to save/restore disk
> snapshots), and eg. provide buttons to switch between guest Virtual
> Terminals.

Already exists at <http://qemuctl.sourceforge.net/>. I am not sure if it
is developed anymore, but I am going to integrate it into my own
project, in the nearest future.

> Furthermore, I'd like to get information like guest CPU usage
> and guest hard disk access; this would probably require that the GUI is
> integrated into Qemu.

Not if this data is available via monitor. And I certainly want it to
be, as this is one of the coolest features.

> Configuration could still be done with the current command line flags,
> but if one of the many config GUIs could be integrated into Qemu, that
> might be useful as well.

None of them (at least the ones I know) are written in C, so integrating
them _into_ QEMU is not really possible. And I absolutely fail to see
the reason for doing so.

If there is a need for an official GUI, choose one, write yet another,
but, please, do not enforce things on users. The current situation works
quite well for projects like cdrtools so why should it not work for QEMU?