qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to Simulate hardware that counts scanlines?

From: Steve Ellenoff
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to Simulate hardware that counts scanlines?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:53:21 +0000

You misunderstand, I have no control over the running program. I didn't write it, I don't have source code, and I surely wouldn't have used a polling mechanism for determining the vblank as you suggested.

My problem is that I wish to run this program through qemu. I've made a bunch of hardware specific additions to qemu to emulate the specific hardware this program runs on. I'm just not sure the best way to simulate the scanline counting the hardware does.

Seems nobody here has any ideas either, which is kind of hard to believe. I don't know if this would work, but one idea I had was to divide up the gui timer into 260 slices (that's the # of scanlines the hardware expects), and simply update the hardware register that counts the scanlines this way.

Does anyone thing that's the way to go, or if there's a better way?

Since this is all custom, I'd rather raise an interrupt when the DAC reaches the final portion of the frame buffer... This has to be better than polling.