qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Wipe patch

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Wipe patch
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 07:09:36 +0400

andrzej zaborowski wrote:

I don't know if you mean just zeroing unused parts or reordering the
data and stuff like defragmentation. If you mean the former, there's a
universal method:
  dd if=/dev/zero of=xxx; rm xxx
where xxx is a path to a new file on the filesystem, which must be
mounted. It will creata a zero filled file there, which will fill all
availiable space, and remove the file afterwards. I used this when I
needed to send filesystem images through internet so that they
compressed well.
If you add dd=<a-big-number-here> it might take less time to write the file.
Oops, I mean "bs=" ofcourse.

Yep, been doing similar, but the neato wipe programs generally also do cluster tails and unused directory entries and allow a really great compression ratio. Ta for the advice though.

Brad