qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Using QEMU on a XP Pro desktop, and then using remote deskt

From: James Olsen
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Using QEMU on a XP Pro desktop, and then using remote desktop - mouse weirdness
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:18:55 -0500

Hello,

I occasionally will run QEMU virtual machines on my work computer
which is running windows XP (the virtual machines run a variety of
OS's).

When I am at home, I'll often "Remote Desktop" (I'll shorten it to RD
from here on) into my work computer. For those who are not familiar
with RD, it basically lets you use the remote computer (mostly) as if
you're sitting directly in front of it. Similar to VNC or X-windows in
concept.

When I try to use the mouse when I'm RD'd into my work computer, the
mouse cursor doesn't seem to move within the QEMU window until the
"real" mouse position crosses the horizontal or vertical middle of the
screen. Depending on the axis that is cross, the cursor will move that
direction extremely rapidly until it stops at the edge of the screen.
Due to the lack of control it is impossible to click on anything
except for the the edge of the window. I can only assume it's
something with the way mouse coordinates are translated via remote
desktop versus natively.

The mouse works just fine when I'm natively at my work console.

The newly added USB Tablet mode with it's absolute coordinates (I
think that is what it added) didn't seem to make a difference.

I have a feeling this is essentially an SDL problem, but I thought I'd
bounce it off the gurus here for ideas.

Suggestions? Or any takers to look into it? :) This is beyond my
expertise or what I have time to investigate. I'm completely
unfamiliar with the QEMU code, SDL code, and interpreting mouse
coordinates programmatically, so it'd take me weeks (months) to try to
track it down and devise a patch.

Thank you for your time..

--
James
Funny quotes: "There are 10 types of people in the world.