qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-i386 segfaults when running wine on a x86 CPU?

From: Joshua Root
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-i386 segfaults when running wine on a x86 CPU?
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:36:33 -0000

James Supancic wrote:
> When I run
> qemu-i386 /usr/bin/wine
> I get
> qemu: uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - exiting
>
> I know I don't need qemu-i386 to run wine compiled for x86 CPUs on an
> x86 CPU. I am trying to figure out how to make a version of wine that
> will work with qemu-i386, after I figure this out I intend to move the
> wine installation over to a sparc CPU.

Qemu's user mode emulation only works for Linux -> Linux at the moment,
i.e. programs compiled for Linux can be run on a Linux host. (The useful
part is of course that programs compiled for a different CPU
architecture than the host's can be run.)

However, encouraging progress has been made on qemu-darwin-user, which
will do what you want to do. See here:
http://wiki.opendarwin.org/index.php/Darwine:qemu-darwin-user

- Josh