qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Porting QEMU to run on Plan9

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Porting QEMU to run on Plan9
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:47:05 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Bankim Bhavsar wrote:

> We are graduate students from CMU, working on an OS project. We want to port
> QEMU so it can run on Plan9 and Plan9 users can thus run Linux on Plan9 that
> way.
>
> Is there a porting guide to port QEMU to a new host OS ? Anyone have
> suggestions on how to go about it?

I'd start by hacking configure. It is a plain shell script (no autoconf
here). I presume you do not want to port to a new CPU? Then you only have
to add new code for Plan 9 (just look for "SunOS", and imitate one of the
platforms). Note that you have to disable user mode (this can only work
when the emulated OS has the same set of syscalls).

After you can run configure successfully, I'd just start fixing
compilation errors until I am done.

Hth,
Dscho