qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] RAM overcomittment

From: The MoonSeeker
Subject: [Qemu-devel] RAM overcomittment
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:31:16 +0200

Hello,

I'd like to know if qemu have a tool that let a VM to use more RAM than it have (when initialised).

Another question is : Can we run run many VM using more RAM than the RAM installed (on the workstation)? For example I'd like to create 5 VM's who have 256MB (can use 256MB but only for a slice of time) but normally one VM use only 50MB. On the workstation I have only 512MB RAM. Is it possible to create these VM's or have we to have 5 X 256 RAM + HOST RAM = 1.5 GB installed on the workstation?

I think we can save ressource by using RAM overcomittment. What do you think? Is this implemented on qemu? Or will be implemented?

Thank you!