qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] International Virtualization Conference

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] International Virtualization Conference
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:23:07 -0400

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 11:54:57AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 5:26 am, Joshua Root wrote:
> > Part of the generally accepted definition of virtualization is that the
> > majority of guest instructions execute directly on the real CPU with no
> > intervention by the VMM. QEMU + qvm86 does count as virtualization if
> > the system spends most of its time in user mode; QEMU on its own does
> > not (you run code that is very different to the original binary).
>
> So it stops being a virtual environment if you run Java or Python in it?  (or
> anything else that uses bytecode?)

What do you mean by virtual? Don't confuse virtual with virtualization.

Python and JAVA are not virutalization environments themselves. They don't
affect the status of say qvm86 because by the time you get to that level, the
bytecodes have already become native machine code anyways.

> Or if I get one of those old Rockwell Java processors (or a Dallas
> semiconductor Java iButton, or an ARM processor with a J in it) and make a
> coprocessor out of it (I dunno, plug it into the USB port and send code to
> it), I now have a virtual Java environment because the bytecode is running on
> real hardware?

Virtualization refers to running the machine code of a guest OS natively on
thoe host OS's cpu. This doesn't apply.

If you ran a JavaOS natively on the coprocessor though, and then ran another
JavaOS inside of that, then you get a virtualized Java environment.