qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc question?

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc question?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 03:39:29 +0100

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 21:44, Ishwar Rattan wrote:
> Well here is the situation. Dept had a lab with SPARC
> based Solaris machines that were phased out in summer
> (over my objections). I needed the environment to teach
> first computer archt course with some assembly language
> thrown in. Intel processor assembly requires a much
> bigger effort (on part of students) which defeats the puprpose
> of the course. So, I thought that I could put together
> the SPARC back, if I am able to boot a SPARC version of
> Linux (with gcc, gas, text-editor and networking) under
> qemu. Hence the barrage of questions. GUI is a non-issue.

Sounds like you just want a bare-metal cross. There's absolutely no reason to
run the editor, compiler or assembler on the target machine.
Many targets even have gdb simulators (MIPS, ARM and PPC do).

IMHO there's nothing particularly good about sparc for teaching assembly
(Whoever thought register windows were a good idea!).

Paul