qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc question?

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc question?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:20:10 +0200

Sounds like you just want a bare-metal cross. There's absolutely no reason to
run the editor, compiler or assembler on the target machine.
Many targets even have gdb simulators (MIPS, ARM and PPC do).

I disagree, it's much easier to use a native compiler than to build a cross compiler, even with crosstool. Especially crosstool's Sparc and Spac64 rows are disappointing. I don't think other compilers than GCC even support cross setups.

IMHO there's nothing particularly good about sparc for teaching assembly
(Whoever thought register windows were a good idea!).

Well, the register use is consistent, there are very few instructions and no instruction modifiers. I don't like ideas like ASIs, lack of FPU/IU connecivity and the delay slot.

BTW, we could easily design and implement an ideal CPU just for Qemu purposes. It could be unlike any existing hardware, for example with zero or thousands of registers. The problem would be making a compiler for the CPU, also porting some OS to it. Any GCC and Linux guru volunteers? CS research projects?