qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Config file support

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Config file support
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:51:09 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Ricardo Almeida wrote:

> Comments are always welcome, I guess, but since there is someone with
> interest to implement config files, maybe constructive comments are
> better :p
>
> I don't dislike the use of xml nor I think is bloat.

You are free not to dislike the use of xml, but believe me: in most cases
it is bloat. As in this case.

As for constructive ideas: I doubt that for a simple key/value store it is
worth proposing a file format. It is very clear how such a file should
look like.

And the most constructive ideas do not concern the "in what form?"
question, but the "what?" and "how?".

So _I_ think that it is just a matter of extending the command line option
parsing to also be able to parse a config file (in which case -- I am sure
even you agree) it is easier if one line holds a complete key/value pair.

If I found config files for QEmu being a worthwhile feature, I'd just
implement it. But I don't, so I don't ;-)

Hth,
Dscho