qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Config file support

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Config file support
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:34:39 +0100

> > The things are what I was asking about.  Assuming that QEMU has support
> > for the appropriate processor type, support for the right bus
> > controller(s), and support for various devices that can attach to that
> > bus, what other information is needed to completely specify a machine?
> > (You mention IRQ lines and DMA channels...)
>
> I'm pessimistic about machine config file support. I know little about
> the PC-like machines in qemu but I've been playing with embedded
> (system-on-chip) hw emulation and every new piece of hardware required
> changes (even if very small) in the bus or cpu code as well, the
> reason being that manufacturers are allowed to do any kind of tricks
> in their hardware knowing that it doesn't need to be configurable,
> being sold together as a single board. For example chips with totally
> contrasting functions (take keypad input and LCD) are allowed to
> communicate between themselves for good synchronisation, without
> poking the main processor. A different example is a single device
> occupying multiple "slots" on a given bus, or multiple busses.

I'm more optimistic. Even SoC designs tend to be built up from modular
components. While adding support for a totally new system may require
changes, I think there's a good chance of being able to describe different
variants of the similar devices (eg. all the different PrimeCell based
integrator/versatile/Realview boards, or different members of the OMAP
family).

Paul