qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A question about QEMU performance

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A question about QEMU performance
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:51:53 -0400

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 4:27 am, Martin Guy wrote:
> There are some statistics at freaknet.org/martin/QEMU for various
> types of x86 processor, but giving only BogoMIPS, which are way
> overrated.
> I presume this is cos QEMU translates the kernel speed test loop once
> then runs it as x86 code, while "real" tasks need to be translated all
> the time.

There is a cache of translated pages, and last I checked (0.8.0 or so) the
entire translation cache was flushed when it filled up, rather than trying to
do any kind of LRU-style thing.

I think of qemu as a processor with a bigger than normal penalty for faulting
executable pages from DRAM into L2. :)

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery