qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] -snapshot otion and writes to (flash) disk

From: Ottavio Caruso
Subject: [Qemu-devel] -snapshot otion and writes to (flash) disk
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 06:17:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello qemu-devel,

I'm trying to determine whether the -snapshot option is a valid one
to minimize writes to disk (in my case a flash drive). In particular
I wonder if the final write, that is the one you do with the 'commit
hda' in the qemu monitor, is the exact sum of all the individual
writes or smaller.

As an empiric test, I have loaded a Debian image, installed a program
(5 Mb, according to apt-get), removed the program, committed the
snapshot, halted the system: the original qcow image has grown of
about 18 MB.

What do you think?

Ottavio

Sponsored Link

Try Netflix today! With plans starting at only $5.99 a month what are you
waiting for?
http://www.netflix.com/Signup?mqso=80010030