[Qemu-devel] Re: RE : Re: Re: NBD server for QEMU images

From: Salvador Fandino
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: RE : Re: Re: NBD server for QEMU images
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:07:54 +0100

Jim C. Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:03:13PM +0100, Salvador Fandino wrote:
>>> The code of lomount might be what you're looking for. Lomount allows one
>>> to mount partions (via loop) from a raw diskimage.
>> That was my intention, but I have found that lomount handling of EBR and
>> logical partition is not correct, they perform as if EBR where
>> structured as MBR, what is wrong!
>> Cheers,
>>   - Salva
> How is it incorrect? What needs to be fixed?
> My understanding is that the extended partition has a partition table
> set up with the first partition entry pointing to the logical partition,
> the second entry pointing to a partition table that exists immediately
> after the logical partition, and then the 3rd and 4th entries are not
> used. The second partition table is structed the same way, so you
> essentially have a linked list of extended partitions. (Unlike the MBR,
> there are no boot sectors associated with these partition tables.)

yes, that's right, but it's not what lomount does. It parses the data on
the EBR in the same way as the MBR, reading 4 partition registers from them.

EBRs are explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Boot_Record

I believe that the implementation in the last version of qemu-nbds I
have uploaded to the forum is correct.

  - Salva