qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] ARC firmware for MIPS platform

From: Hervé Poussineau
Subject: [Qemu-devel] ARC firmware for MIPS platform
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:14:44 +0100

Hi,

Since some weeks, I've started to implement an ARC firmware according to
"Advanced RISC computing specification" v1.2

The current implementation is mostly complete, even if I'm sure there is
still some bugs in it ;)

Here is the list of OSs I've tested:
- NetBSD/ARC 1.51: fails when trying to dereference the address 0x84
- OpenBSD/ARC 2.3: qemu crashes after some time
- Debian 3.1r4 for IP22 platform: freezes after tftpboot loader, probably
because Qemu doesn't emulate hardware of the IP22
- MS Windows NT 3.51 setup: setup starts, loads lots of drivers, and fails
when passing execution to kernel- MS Windows NT 4.0 setup: setup starts and
immediatly returns back to the firmware
- MS Windows NT 3.51/4.0 partitionner: works well to create/format 1
partition (firmware is buggy when >= 2 partitions)

Main missing part in the firmware is the interactive mode, which lets you
choose which file to start. Currently, the firmware can only start cdroms
listed above, but *nothing* on the hard-disk

Firmware source and binary is available at
http://hpoussineau.free.fr/qemu/firmware
The .iso files I've used for my tests are available at
http://hpoussineau.free.fr/qemu

Please comment.

Hervé