qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: allow Solaris to use OSS (OpenSound)

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: allow Solaris to use OSS (OpenSound)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 9:23:07 -0500

---- malc <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Ben Taylor wrote:
>
> [..snip..]
>
> >> From where i stand SDL as the default is a bad idea.
> >
> > Solaris without OSS audio doesn't have any other options.
> > There is no ALSA, and AFAIK, there isn't an fmod either.
> >
> > However, I still think it is probably a good idea to have the
> > QEMU_SDL_AUDIO device default to the audio subsystem
> > that is defined (or defaulted to).  Thoughts?
>
> I'm somewhat lost, there's no QEMU_SDL_AUDIO, furthermore there's
> no way to tell SDL what subsystem to use other than setting the
> environment variable.

Sorry.  I had a brain fart.  I meant QEMU_AUDIO_DRV.  And after
looking at the code, it appears to be smart enough to pick the
right audio subsystem.  I just remember having to fiddle with
QEMU_AUDIO_DRV when I was trying to figure out a previous
problem with audio occurred (like 18 months ago)

> And to reiterate the point: NetBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris do not
> have full fledged OSS, they provide a wrapper that implements
> some basic functionality. The native thing for them is SUN audio[1]
> (more or less). And there's no QEMU driver for that. Options for
> those system include: OSS wrapper provided with the system, 4Front
> drivers and SDL (if it can use /dev/audio at all).

Well, it appears to use SDL in that case where there is no OSS.

> Only 4Front's solution will allow DAC/ADC because it is basically
> full blown OSS implementation. Unless, ofcourse, native `/dev/audio'
> QEMU driver is written.
>
> [1] http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-0222/6m6nmlssf?q=audio&a=view

Thanks for the clarification.  Guess I'll just go ahead an use the OSS
stuff.

Regards,

Ben