qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug] MIPS code fails at branch instruction

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug] MIPS code fails at branch instruction
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:37:49 +0100

So an emulation has several options:

1. Show undefined behaviour (this is what it does today).
2. Emulate the behaviour of existing CPUs as far as possible.
   As different CPUs behave different, this must depend on the
   current CPU.
3. Display an error message.

The current solution (1) is not good, because users get crashes
and don't know the reason, and experienced users spend a lot of
time with debugging (at least I did).

Solution (2) is needed to run existing binary code.

Solution (3) is the minimum I expect of an emulation like QEMU.

I prefer a mix of solutions (2) and (3): display a message and
try to emulate the original behaviour.

Do you agree, and would you accept patches which implement this?

Stefan

PS. Emulation of undefined instructions / undefined behaviour has
    a long tradition. In the old Z80 and 8086 days, it was
    something like a game to analyse and use them :-)