qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KQEMU Darwin port status?

From: Mike Kronenberg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KQEMU Darwin port status?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:49:33 +0100

Hi there,

On 17.03.2007, at 20:30, Philip Boulain wrote:

Hi! I'll keep this succinct, because I'm sure they'd be FAQ-grade questions if this list had a FAQ: :)

1) Where's the version repository for KQEMU? It doesn't appear to be under/alongside QEMU itself. 2) Has anyone made any progress with porting KQEMU to Darwin x86? I've had a look at the GPL release (hurrah) and it looked to me like the platform-specific parts would mostly involve writing an I/ O Kit Device Driver which provided a device node with suitable ioctl support[1], as the FreeBSD version does. The mailing list archives show some activity in this area, but without 1) it's hard to get an overview. (There are also obvious-looking compilation problems with the distributed 1.3.0pre11 sources, but I'm guessing that someone who knows assembler better than now has fixed them by now.)

I have made a empty kext and a dummy client to do some tests on this topics. Boundary crossing is working well, so by now the kext part is ready.
http://www.kronenberg.org/files/kqemu_poc.zip

Unfortunately, Apple decided to remove/hide some of the vm_* API (especially vm_map_(un)wire in Tiger. (It was available on Panther. vm_map_user_pageable was never part of Darwin). So any suggestions on how to lock user pages in Darwin would be very welcome.

So right now, I'm reading thru lots of stuff to replace the unsupported kqemu-freebsd.c function calls. If someone is interested, I post snapshots or put it in the http://www.kju-app.org repository, until it's working and can be merged.

Thanks,
LionsPhil
1. http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/ KernelProgramming/boundaries/chapter_14_section_6.html

Best Regards