qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Alpha CPU emulation

From: J. Mayer
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Alpha CPU emulation
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 09:36:07 +0200

As previously proposed here, I finally commited my work on the Alpha
target emulation.
This target is still in very alpha state (!) and a few patches are
missing to make it able to compile. I intend to submit those patches
very soon but I need to make more checks not to break any other target.
In the meantime, the commited code may allow some to take a look and
figure out what is already done and what's missing. Most of the CPU core
instructions are emulated. No exceptions are generated on floating point
arithmetic. VAX floating point load and store are missing as well as the
multimedia extensions. The emulation of instructions reserved for
PALcode may also be very approximative.
I did start to implement 2 models for PALcode support: the first
approach is to emulate the PALcode (in hw/alpha_palcode.c). This makes
the CPU emulation easier as we don't have to implement the IPR support
details nor any PALcode reserved instructions. The other approach is to
support a native PALcode. I guess most of the features missing (and
harder to implement, unfortunately) are here.

Please enjoy and comment !

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized