qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] -vmwarevga issues

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: [Qemu-devel] -vmwarevga issues
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 22:13:22 +0200

I just tried this new toy and found these things:

1. Has it been tested with xorg 7.1.0 guests?  I booted

http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/sidux/release/SIDUX-2007-01-200702210759-CHAOS.ISO
(see
        http://www.sidux.com/Article116.html
, it is based on debian sid and has has xorg 7.1.0) and it detected the
vmware vga, but hung when trying to start X.
2. And with

http://ftp.us.freesbie.org/pub/FreeSBIE/2.0.1-RELEASE/FreeSBIE-2.0.1-RELEASE.iso
(see
        http://www.freesbie.org/
, based on FreeBSD 6.2 and using xorg 6.9.0) it worked (after editing
`Driver "vmware"' into xorg.conf because its xorg autoconfiguration
didnt know that card), but caused both the ne2kpci (ed0) and es1370
(pcm0) cards not to be detected: (from bootverbose dmesg:)
        ed0: <RealTek 8029> port 0xfffffb00-0xfffffbff irq 11 at device 3.0 on
pci0
        device_attach: ed0 attach returned 2
        pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1370> port 0xfffffc00-0xfffffcff irq 9 at device 4.0
on pci0
        pcm0: unable to map register space
(both are detected and work when using the default cirrus vga.)

 Interestingly, the new eepro100 nic which I also tried (i82559er == fxp0,
see other post) still worked...  And I just tried the rtl8139 nic (re0)
which also didn't work, saying:
        re0: couldn't map ports/memory
        rl0: couldn't map ports/memory
(the rl driver also matches for this pci id, but would use non-C+ mode
which eats more cpu.)

 Hope this is helpful to some :)

        Juergen