qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is it possible to boot qemu-system-ppc with -kernel?

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is it possible to boot qemu-system-ppc with -kernel?
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:57:41 -0400

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 8:48 pm, Jason Wessel wrote:

> To boot the prep machine you need to configure the kernel for prep and
> use the zImage.prep file.  IE: CONFIG_PPC_PREP=y
>
> Right now you selected CONFIG_PPC_CHRP

In 2.6.20.4 PPC_PREP depends on:
  (PPC64 || CLASSIC32) && PPC_MULTIPLATFORM && PPC32 && BROKEN

Broken?  Hmmm, removing that from arch/powerpc/Kconfig lets me select it, and
then building...  And apparently, CONFIG_PPC_PREP doesn't create a zImage?

Ok, back up and try the prep defconfig.  cp prep_defconfig to .config,
run "make ARCH=powerpc oldconfig" and...  yeesh, it prompted for a dozen
screens full of stuff (hold down enter)...  Try the build...  Sigh, go into
menuconfig and switch off:

 CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO - Hang build indefinitely waiting for git.

Second verse, same as the first...

Ok, that created arch/powerpc/boot/zImage, zImage.chrp, zImage.coff,
zImage.lds, zImage.miboot, and zImage.pmac.

No zImage.prep.  How do you create this?

> In any kernel > 2.6.20 there is a bug where no PCI interrupts go to
> sleep and the default prep loader has a size limit.
>
> I worked around this by modifying the prep loader to accept a bigger
> image, as well as to process the kernel arguments passed by QEMU.

How did you modify the loader?  (Are you talking about making changes to qemu,
or to the kernel?)

And you didn't work around the PCI interrupts issue, but got it to boot
anyway?  (Using initramfs?)

> So
> yes it is definitely possible to boot a prep image, but there some
> tricks.  I also only use the serial ports, so I am not certain if the
> frame buffer actually works.

I'm just trying to get a serial console to work myself...

> Jason.

Thanks,

Rob
--
Penguicon 5.0 Apr 20-22, Linux Expo/SF Convention.  Bruce Schneier, Christine
Peterson, Steve Jackson, Randy Milholland, Elizabeth Bear, Charlie Stross...