qemu-devel

Re: Qemu-PPC problems (was [Qemu-devel] Just to add one single point)

From: Jason Wessel
Subject: Re: Qemu-PPC problems (was [Qemu-devel] Just to add one single point)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:23:08 -0500

J. Mayer wrote:
On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 10:49 -0500, Jason Wessel wrote:
A kernel > 4 MB ? Even on my amd64 I usually have kernels smaller than
this. Is there any need to have such a big kernel for anyone ?

Maybe no one else has the need but me... I built a kernel with nearly all built in code, and it just got too big, so I upped the limit.

The problem with the frame-buffer is quite simple: it works (well, it
used to work, I did not check with such a recent kernel...) but the
kernel uses a black font on a black background.
Unfortunatelly, the reason of this bug seems not obvious (or I was not
so lucky to find it !).

Then the frame buffer is probably grinding along just fine, eventually it will probably be fixed by someone who has the interest.
Did it really work before this patch ? Because IRQs were broken _before_ the
IRQ scheme patches, for the PREP platform, which is the reason I cannot test it.
It seem to have been broken in September and the problem seems to be somewhere
in the PCI bridge code...

Yes I have been able to boot the prep machine all with 2.6 kernels, since last May. My question is do you have it working now with some image on the prep machine? It is entirely possible that the 2.6.x kernel's implentation for talking to QEMU is wrong, but it was not obvious to me how it subtly changed so as to look where to fix it with the newly merged pic logic.

Jason.