qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu / KQemu on 64-bit (x86_64) host systems

From: Werner Dittmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu / KQemu on 64-bit (x86_64) host systems
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:34:09 +0200

andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 16/04/07, Werner Dittmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>> During several tests with Qemu / Kqemu it seems that Qemu
>> has problems with x86_64 host systems. My system is an
>> AMD 64 X2 (Dual Core), running openSUSE 10.2, 2GB memory.

Indeed it is a dual CPU. Adding notsc as an additional parameter to
the kernel commandline (the guest system uses Lilo). Using this
parameter the kernel was able to start INIT and the init.d startup
scripts (not always, but most of the time). After a short time
the kernel starts to loop again, e.g. during hotplug handling.

Using th same technique as before (gdb) it's the same picture:
mainly in compute_c_subl or compute_c_addl.

> Does your host happen to be dual-core? If so, please try adding
> "notsc" to the guest kernel commandline and report if it makes a
> difference.

I thought qemu's gdb server is used to debug kernels running
inside Qemu but not to debug Qemu itself. IMHO the problem is not
in the kernel (the kernel works perfectly on a real HW processor)
but in Qemu.

> Use qemu's gdb server, it's documented.
>

> Regards,
> Andrzej