qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU License and proprietary hardware

From: Luke -Jr
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU License and proprietary hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:18:01 -0500

On Thursday 21 June 2007 17:33, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> The GPL only has as much force of law as copyright law gives it, and in
> order to be applicable, the work in question must somehow rely on the GPL'd
> work.  The "somehow" here is an interesting legal question that hasn't been
> well settled.

And copyright law by default grants you no rights to modify or copy Qemu at
all. The ONLY way you can get permission to copy or modify Qemu is to agree
to the GPL in its entirety-- which does not restrict itself to merely
derivative works, but covers all linking. (note: obvious the copyright
holder(s) can make exceptions to this rule)

IANAL either, but as much as I have to debate this I might as well be