qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] disk images & driver geometry

From: Christopher Friedt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] disk images & driver geometry
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:42:24 -0400

Hi everyone,

has there been any work done in the last few months towards hard disk geometry, so that partition tables / mbr's in raw hard disk files can be stored for later use?

That's something that would be tremendously useful with the -hda option, so that one could use a file for a virtual disk and expect qemu to recognize the partition information from it. Usually if one does a typical install with a linux distro, the linux install will format the main hard disk to have 3 partitions (boot,root,swap), but if it's just a file then that partition / mbr info isn't really recognized by qemu.

I've been out of the loop w/ what's happening on the bleeding edge with qemu for a few months, so I thought I'd just ask here.

~/Chris