qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Image Corruption Possible with qemu

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Image Corruption Possible with qemu and qemu-kvm
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 05:13:02 +0300

Anthony Liguori wrote:
In the scenario you mention, libvirt should probably do a sanity check for
this before letting you start the guest. libvirt already supports the idea
of 'shared' disk images where two or more guests can be optionally configured to have write access - basically assumes the admin requesting sharing knows
what they're doing.

I think this is the right level myself.  Advisory locks work okay but
not all filesystems support them.  It's particularly nasty when you have
a clustered filesystem in the host.  I think it would do more harm than
good to have a feature like that was supposed to provide a safe-guard
but then frequently didn't work.

There's still the unmanaged use case to worry about. I think qemu can default to advisory locking, and management tools can do their own locking and always override qemu.

It's too easy to kill an image by starting up another instance right now.

--
Any sufficiently difficult bug is indistinguishable from a feature.