qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] make qemu work with GCC 4

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] make qemu work with GCC 4
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:41:37 +0200

Hi Michael,

Am 28.08.2007 um 21:57 schrieb Michael Matz:

the below patch let's qemu be compiled by GCC 4.2

Thanks for your effort!

Here's some justification
of why that doesn't really cost performance: with three free regs GCC is already spilling like mad in the snippets, we just trade one of those memory accesses (to stack) with one other mem access to
       the cpu_state structure, which will be in cache.

Additionally I made sure that I put the least used Tx global into memory. I haven't done much performance measurements but noticed
       no glaring problems.

Am I right to assume that compiling with gcc3 will still work with your patch? In that case your patch would enable qemu to run on gcc4- only platforms (where performance doesn't matter too much yet) while allowing to compile with gcc3 for performance reasons where necessary.

The whole patch is against a 0.9.0-cvs version from 2007-07-09 (Alex might
know the exact checkout date), so chances are that it still applies :)

What do you mean with 0.9.0-cvs? The 0.9.0 GCC4 patches for OSX/Intel don't apply to HEAD possibly due to some inline assembler changes, and if merged manually resulted in a crash...

Andreas