qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Image Corruption Possible with qemu

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Image Corruption Possible with qemu and qemu-kvm
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 16:23:33 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Alexander Graf wrote:
Paul Jakma wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I think this is the right level myself. Advisory locks work okay but not all filesystems support them... I think it would do more harm than good to have a feature like that was supposed to provide a safe-guard but then frequently didn't work.

Are you trying to say that any kind of significant portion of QEMU users have clustered file-systems?

I think that's unlikely, and it'd be nice if QEMU by default did a fcntl() on writeable image files to lock itself from multiple access, that'd benefit the vast majority of users.

I'm usually running one "main" qemu instance that has read/write access to the disk file and several others for tests that use the -snapshot option, so I think it's very important to have an easy means of switching this check off.

Would it make sense to take a read lock (preventing concurrent writes) on read-only snapshot images, and a write lock on all writable files? That should allow one to run as many instances as you want off a single snapshot in snapshot mode, but still prevent one from (accidentally) running a non-snapshot QEMU on the same image, or from (accidentally) running two instances writing to the same COW file.

By removing the need to add the lock-override command line switch to qemu in this case, it would reduce the risk of accidental image corruption by accidentally overriding the lock.

Cheers, Chris.
--