qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Réf. : Re: [kvm-devel] [ PATCH][RFC] Allowing QEMU

From: Laurent Vivier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Réf. : Re: [kvm-devel] [ PATCH][RFC] Allowing QEMU to directly executead irectory (and storing command line options in it)
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:12:05 +0200

Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 22:13 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> I think passing only the directory name is better because it can be like a
>> "black box" : the user don't have to know how it is inside. And it is much
>> more simple to use "qemu my_pc" than "qemu -c my_pc/config".
>
> You're overriding what "qemu my_pc" means.  "qemu my_pc" create a QEMU
> vm with 128m of memory and -hda my_pc with the default network card.
>
> "qemu -c my_pc/config" only has one meaning: read command line arguments
> from "my_pc/config".
>
> Your suggested syntax may be simpler for your particular use-case, but
> it makes QEMU much more difficult to understand for every other user.

I don't totally agree with you: "qemu my_pc", when my_pc is a file, as you
explain, has an implicit behavior "use vm with 128 MB and hda my_pc and the
default network card", so perhaps we can have also "qemu my_pc", when my_pc is a
directory, has an implicit behavior "use vm as defined in my_pc/config and hd
found in this directory".

BUT, as there is a lot of debates on this, I AGREE WITH YOU: we should choose
the most simple, logic and common solution... and "-c" seems the good one.

Jorge made a very good work, it should be sad to not use it.

Regards,
Laurent
--
          "Software is hard" - Donald Knuth