qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Pending Disk I/O requests during live VM migration

From: Kaushik Bhandankar
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Pending Disk I/O requests during live VM migration
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:43:16 -0400

Blue Swirl wrote:
On 10/4/07, Kaushik Bhandankar <address@hidden> wrote:
I am trying to implement functionality in fully-virtualized xen wherein
the responses to the pending disk I/O requests during live VM migration
get trasnsferred to the new VMM form the old VMM. Specifically, I am
looking at IDE disk (tools/ioemu/hw/ide.c)

You should ask Xen related questions in xen lists. At least in Qemu
pending I/O are flushed before VM save in vl.c:5522.
Thanks Blue...

somebody in the xen-devel list suggested to mail this list about it.... Anyway, I have some IDE related questions which somebody on this list might answer

1) I guess the IDE disk code is in ioemu/hw/ide.c. But where is the IDE disk controller code located ?? 2) I do not really understand BMDMA in ioemu/hw/ide.c. google doesnt seem to be helping much here. Any documentation about the QEMU IDE disks would be greatly appreciated. 3) vl.c:5522 seems to be not the correct code (I guess our vl.c codes are different).. Could you point me to the routine in vl.c where the pending disk IO requests are flushed before VM save (I guess the VM save happens in qemu_savevm_state() in vl.c wherein it invokes all the registered save handlers)? 4) Somebody told me that the pending disk IO requests are stored somewhere in quemu's I/O disk model but I am not sure exactly where....Can somebody help me with this ?

Thanks,
Kaushik