qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] wrong bios.bin file in Ubuntu Linux 7.10 causes blue sc

From: Soren Hansen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] wrong bios.bin file in Ubuntu Linux 7.10 causes blue screen on w2k guest
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:17 +0100

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 02:48:34PM +0100, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>>> As far as I understand Qemu uses the BIOS from the Bochs project and
>>> the diff is applied for Qemu and it becomes the Qemu BIOS.
>> If that's really the case, I'm curious why it's distributed in its
>> binary form rather than being built at runtime.
> build-time?  Perhaps because the (cross-)compiler used to build the
> BIOS is not present in many distros and would be a quite inconvenient
> dependency.

I happened to discuss this with someone yesterday, and he pointed out
something even graver, that I had somehow completely overlooked. bochs
is licensed under the LGPL, so shipping a binary built from bochs
without also shipping the full source, is actually in violation of
bochs' license..

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team